Having a blog these days is crucial for your Internet success. A blog can help you express your thoughts, share knowledge, and market your business effectively. However, blogging is not as simple as it seems to be. You can’t just open your Blog Editor and start writing and be done with it. This step-by-step method will teach you how to write a blog post that gets read in 9 easy steps.
For writing a blog post, you need proper planning and to follow certain norms. If you don’t make the right plan while writing a blog post, you’ll have a higher bounce rate and less traffic. In short, it won’t reflect the value you want it to.
In this article, I will teach you how to write a blog post that brings traffic and converts your regular readers into subscribers. I have been writing this way for almost two years, and I can confirm this thing works. Follow along with this guide, and I guarantee growth to your blog.
Affiliate Disclosure: In full transparency, this blog post contains affiliate links, and when you buy using these links, I may earn a small commission at NO EXTRA COST to you. It is how I keep the stream of free content available for you.
Why Should You Care?
But you learn how to write a blog post that gets read, let’s have a look at some of the pros and cons of it and why you should care:
- Writing a good blog post will help you grab readers’ attention and focus them in your sales funnel or convert them into subscribers.
- Writing a good blog post will help you reduce your blog’s bounce rate and send positive signals to search engines that help rank better and improve your blog’s overall SEO.
- It also helps build a community around your blog, and you’ll gain more trust and authority by being valuable and resourceful to the readers.
- Learning how to write a blog post takes time, patience, and of course, practice.
Before I show you the steps to write a blog post, let’s first understand what makes a blog post good.
What is a Good Blog Post?
Okay, how do you write a good blog post? You must be asking now.
Please do me a favor and ask a few questions to yourself.
What value do you want to add through your blog post to readers’ life?
Why should the reader keep coming back to your blog?
Why are you even writing a blog post?
What is your motive behind blogging?
You need to write a blog post that will add value to the reader’s life. If someone came to your blog to find an answer to a question, your post must provide a solution.
I’m being direct if your posts aren’t valuable – you will find no success no matter how effectively you write a blog post. Sorry, but it’s true. So after learning how to write a blog post, think of the value you’ll put via your blogs. Don’t just directly hook your business service or products without first being helpful and valuable.
You also need to make your posts engaging, and the reader should enjoy them while reading; this makes the right image of your blog in the reader’s mind, so they keep coming back to your blog.
You don’t want to bore people with huge paragraphs. Makes sense?
In a nutshell, learn how to write a blog post that is informative and engaging and adds considerable value by any means. How, you may ask? Coming up right next.
Step-by-Step Method: How To Write a Good Blog Post in 9 Steps
Here’s a devised strategy for writing a blog post that gets read and drives traffic.
1. Choose A Topic for Your Blog Post
Before you start writing your blog post, we need to choose a topic for our blog post. Well, there are many methods of selecting a topic for your blog post. I am going to share a few of them so you can easily choose a topic for your blog post:
- Quora Spaces: Quora Spaces are small communities built around specific topics where people meet others with the same interests. Try to find Quora spaces related to your blog niche. Join these Quora spaces and participate in the discussions. Look for pain points to figure out topics for your blog post.
- Reddit: A website where people create communities (called subreddit) around a topic and participate in discussions with other people. For example, if your blog niche is “Hamster(a pet),” then join r/Hamsters and see people discuss their hamster pets and ask questions with other people. You can find out your blog post topic by participating in the discussions.
- Google Trends: Google Trends is a fantastic service by Google where you can see what is (and has been) trending on Google Search or, in other words, what’s trending on the Internet. If you’re a blogger who writes a blog post around trending topics or has a magazine, it’s a gem for you.
Things to keep in mind while choosing a topic for your blog post:
- Knowledge: Before writing on a topic, you must have a decent understanding of it.
- Research: While writing a blog post, you must research the topic to get more insights and know what other people are talking about your case.
- Confidence: Always make sure you’re confident about the topic you’re going to write about.
2. Research About Topic for Your Blog Post
You decided on the topic for your blog post, and now research is your next step in learning how to write a blog post. It’s time to grab some insights and knowledge about your topic. Some of the methods to research are:
- Wikipedia: Wikipedia is an immense resource on the Internet to find detailed information about any topic. You can start your research by searching on Wikipedia like we were writing a blog post about “Hamsters.” If we search Hamster on Wikipedia, we will get every necessary detail about the Hamster (animal).
- News Portals & Google: If you’re writing on something more likely to be covered by the Press, then it’s wise to check with news portals for more detailed insights. If you find it difficult to visit every news portal and search for your topic, I suggest shoving your keywords on Google Alerts. Google will mail you whatever is happening around that keyword on the Internet at your chosen frequency.
- Communities: Communities are there for almost every topic. Just join these communities and participate in the discussion for your research. Reddit is one of the best places to join the community related to your topic. Facebook groups are also a good option.
- Ask the Expert: If you want something very particular related to the topic of your blog post, you can go to the social media of the experts in your field and ask them directly. It’s more likely they will answer your query. You can ask their permission to quote their suggestion in your blog post.
- Experience: You don’t need to always rely on someone or something. If you learned something by yourself, you can turn that into a blog post and teach your audience. I do the same with this blog. I’m no expert, but curious. I learn things, apply, and then share them on my blog.
Things to keep in mind while researching a topic:
- Noisy World: The Internet is a noisy world, meaning it doesn’t have a lack of content but excellent and reliable content. So make sure you don’t just believe any random site and deploy the knowledge in your blog. Test or verify it.
- Jot Down: While researching, it is indeed a good idea to make bullet points of essential ideas/knowledge you come across. Don’t fall into the trap – “I’ll remember it.”
- Avoid The Lie: Tons of sites promote or flash spammy content, sell crap PDFs, and earn hefty amounts of money (in the short term). Whenever you feel that for a site, stay away.
- Never Write While Researching: This is a common mistake. When you are researching, you might get the urge to write down. We advise against it as it will only lead to more confusion and mess in your head. Furthermore, you’re at higher risk of copying someone else’s work. And copying will become plagiarism if you’re caught. Consequently, Google may penalize and you may lose the trust of your readers.
3. Choose A Catchy and SEO Friendly Title for Blog Post
Okay, now you have the topic for your blog post, and you are already done with the research for the content. It’s high time for the action, so the next big thing in learning how to write a blog post – writing an SEO-friendly and catchy title.
The first impression is the last; we all know that. We show our first impression through the blog title of a blog post. A catchy and SEO-friendly post title is critical, as it will attract more clicks (which will increase your CTR) and boost the ranking of your blog post on search engines.
Here are a few things to consider for writing a catchy and SEO-friendly title:
- Keep it Short and Simple: Write a title that is short and easy to read. We must keep the post title short of optimizing our posts for search and social media. Also, keep the post title user-friendly because we are writing for humans, not bots, so everyone can understand.
- Start with the Focus Keyword: You should always try to start your title with your focus keyword to rank higher on search engines. SEO experts recommend keeping the focus keyword at the beginning of the blog post title.
- Include Interrogative Words: Try to use words like “Who” and “What” in your post title. According to a study, post titles having words like “Who” and “What” get 22% more clicks than average.
- Include Numbers: Have numbers or figures in your title to increase curiosity in the reader’s mind. According to studies, including numbers in titles results in higher click-through rates.
Things to keep in mind while writing the title:
- 60 Characters: Try to write your title within 60 characters. Google doesn’t show beyond 60 characters on SERPs, so writing beyond that is typically useless.
- Catchy But True: Write catchy titles but don’t lie in the race to catch attention. Integrity is everything.
- Remember Human: Include emotional words to invoke emotions. Appealing to the reader’s emotions is one of the best ways to increase your CTR. Here’s a useful guide for the same.
You can use CoSchedule’s Heading Analyzer to analyze your titles and headings.
4. Choose A Proper Blog Post Template
Choosing a proper template or structure is crucial in learning how to write a blog post. We need to be aware of it before writing.
There’s no said rule. However, there are four types of blog templates that you’ll see on the Internet, and they are:
- ‘How-to’ Posts
- Listicle Posts
- Infographics Posts
- Case Study Posts
- Personal Experience Posts
Choose a template and start outlining the content.
Follow the steps to create an outline for your post:
- Open Google Docs: While reading this blog post, open any of the following apps you may have: Pages, Word, or Google Docs in your browser.
- Start Feeding it with Ideas/Topics: First, write the blog post’s title. Start writing the topics or ideas you want to cover in Google Docs. These ideas will be headings and subheadings.
- Arrange those Topics: You need to arrange the topics you just added to the notes and form relevant headings & subheadings out of them.
- Add Intro and Conclusion: Write a short introduction and add a conclusion, expressing your opinions and some footnotes. Remember, if your introduction doesn’t interest your reader, they are most likely to bounce, so yeah, it’s essential.
Now we’re churning. Are you having fun learning how to write a blog post? Tell me that in the comment box at the end.
5. Write an engaging piece
So, once you’re done outlining the content, it’s time to write the article’s meat. Start pouring content into the headings you have created. Remember to take help from the point you jotted while you were researching.
While writing, you must also ensure that you write keeping the piece’s readability in mind.
Let’s face the truth: netizens are in a hurry. Almost always! And you should know it because you must ultimately write a blog post that captivates and engages the reader.
Here’s how to make your post more reader-friendly:
- Use bullet points (Oh, look! I am doing the same).
- Use small paragraphs.
- Don’t write long sentences. I don’t generally go over 20 words in a sentence.
- Explain with infographics — wherever applicable and possible.
6. WAlk Off Before you Edit
You don’t need to be a pro copywriter on firsthand. Try to write your first draft with your prejudices left behind, following your topic’s outline—no need to be a perfectionist. Maintain the format and the flow. You’ll see why learning how to write a blog post is important later.
Once you’re done with your draft article, it’s time to go for a walk and do the other stuff. Yes, you heard right. Completely forget about it.
Give yourself at least 3-4 hours, if possible, and then proofread and fix any mistakes.
Why? Giving some time off helps you curb any writer’s block. Moreover, you come with a fresh perspective and can be critical while editing your piece.
One crucial thing, grammatical mistakes can piss people off. They hugely affect the user experience, which will ultimately affect your SEO.
To fix Grammar mistakes, you don’t need to be a grammar expert. There’s this tool called Grammarly that can do the work for you.
Grammarly is a web app and browser extension that identifies the text’s grammatical mistakes and suggests ways to fix them.
7. Add Relevant Graphics to Blog Post
So far, so good. You’ve chosen the topic, done your research, finalized your post template, and written the catchy SEO title. What’s next in learning how to write a blog post? Its…
Without aesthetics, you can not emit that particular vibe and learn how to write a blog post. Consider aesthetics a part of your brand.
Add relevant images, graphic design elements, and videos to complement your blog post. Remember to add your brand/blog flair when designing this stuff.
You can design graphics using tools like Canva, Crello, and Adobe Spark. Or, if you’re not good at graphic designing or don’t want to spend time on it, you can download graphics from Freepik or Unsplash.
8. Optimize Blog Posts for SEO
Guess what? You have almost learned how to write a blog post and are ready for the final step – SEO optimization.
If you’re using WordPress for your blog, the first thing to do is install SEO plugins like Yoast or RankMath, if you’ve not yet. RankMath is my favorite, as they provide many more features for free.
RankMath or Yoast plugin helps you improve your SEO by analyzing your blog post and giving suggestions accordingly. Using the RankMath plugin, you can do the following:
- Add Focus Keyword: You can add a focus keyword to your blog right after the blog post and include the keywords around ten times per the suggestions by RankMath. You can use Ubersuggest or KeywordTool to find the right keyword.
- Optimize Blog Post Title: You can set a different title for search engines using RankMath and Optimize for search engines.
- Optimize Meta Description: Add a custom meta description for your blog post and optimize it for search engines.
- Add Schema Markups: You can add various schema markups via RankMath and help search engines to understand your post better. If you don’t know what it is, read this.
For a complete list of on-page SEO measures that you need to take:
or read the post here.
9. Promote Your Blog Post
You have completed your blog post, but writing a blog post isn’t enough if you don’t have any readers. Let’s promote your blog post with different methods and get people to read it. And subsequently, complete the long journey of your learning how to write a blog post.
There are many ways to promote your blog post, depending on your blog’s topic. If you’re writing a blog on trending topics, you should join Facebook groups and other communities to promote your blog post with viral marketing tactics.
For ‘How to’ or niche-based websites, I recommend using social media channels and Reddit communities to promote your articles.
Promoting articles doesn’t mean you press the social share button on your blog and share it as it is on the social channel. People can consider it as a SPAM post.
Wherever you’re going to promote your blog post, make sure you participate in the discussion, share your blog post, add context, and add value to the social media post. Otherwise, people may consider it SPAM and won’t click on the link.
It’s essential to focus on SEO and email list building for the long-term success of your blog.
Commonly Asked Questions on How To Write a Blog Post
How to write a blog post for beginners?
Whether you are a beginner or a pro, writing a blog post requires you to follow a strategy and produce content that your readers will love.
1. Before you start writing, think of the title and all the headings and subheadings your blog will have – and write it on a document.
2. After it, write a captivating intro and a conclusion to compliment your blog post.
3. Don’t forget to add relevant graphics.
4. Optimize it for SEO. Use RankMath or Yoast SEO plugin.
5. Proofread, use Grammarly and publish it.
How to write a blog post fast?
By writing more. There’s no shortcut to increase your writing speed except by practicing. To write a blog post fast, write more and more and outline your blog post to stay focused and avoid wasting time. Furthermore, you can use AI writing assistants to write faster. For instance, HyperWrite helps you write faster by suggesting key points and paragraphs for you.
How to write a blog post that converts?
It’s simple: write massively valuable content. Converting new readers isn’t just a one-day event. It may take a lot. Write valuable content, become an authority, have a persona, and solve the pain points of your readers.
How to write a blog post that drives traffic?
To drive traffic from free channels, you need a few things:
1. Optimize your website and blog posts for SEO.
2. Use social media channels to promote and engage with your readers.
3. Write valuable and user-friendly content.
4. Create a community around your blog.
5. Don’t give up. Try, make mistakes, learn and try again.
I hope I have been helpful and you have learned how to write a blog post, a good blog post. But learning alone isn’t worth it unless you put it into practice.
Remember, content is the king, and consistency is the queen. You’ll be able to build a dedicated reader base only with the help of your content, perseverance, and hard work.
So, be creative while writing and impress your readers so they can come back to read your articles and become subscribers. To do that, be yourself and remember the human on the other side of the screen.
That’s all for now. Like the post? Please share it and help your struggling friends.
Enjoyed learning how to write a blog post? Join my newsletter, and I promise you’ll learn more exciting things about blogging and money-making!